Friday, August 31, 2007

94 Good Years

Last week, I was saddened to hear of the passing of my great aunt. She was my paternal grandfather's sister. I know most folks these days don't seem to know much of their extended family, but when I grew up in L.A., our whole family was there and the Munesatos all saw each other a lot. My second cousins were always around to play & fight with, and we'd often mistake our granfathers for each other's (my grandfather & all his brothers all looked a like more & more as they got older). We had big family gatherings with all of my grandfather's brothers and sisters and all of their families. They still get together on Super Bowl Sunday for brunch (west coast, fellas) but I haven't made of these in years. Auntie Yae was a sweet old lady who always had a smile on her face when she saw you. When I got married almost 3 years ago, she sent me my birth announcement with the sweetest card. I'll miss her. God Bless and rest in peace, Auntie Yae.

2 comments:

Dee said...

Hi R.C.,
The funeral was very nice. Auntie Yae was a devoted member of her church, Centenary Methodist. The church has been in existence for some 110 years. It used to be located in the Crenshaw district on the Westside of town. They have since rebuilt a new church in J-town. When Uncle George passed away, she donated a stained glass window in his name. And during their weekly services, the sun shines through it reflects on the wall inside the church by the organ player. It was neat to see that today. Auntie Yae was just shy of 94 yrs old, so you can see that she really was part of that church for almost as long as the church has been in existence. The service was just lovely. And there were several people that came from a distance to pay their respects.
Auntie Dee Dee

Dee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.