Monday, March 24, 2008

breastfeeding is hard

max weighs 11 lbs 5 oz now and gaining about an ounce or more a day - which is all what it's supposed to be. i've been dealing with some pain that has always kinda been there (max does better on one side than the other) and when he started his last growth spurt he really took out some frustration on the side he doesn't like as much. so it's been tough. i finally broke down & went to see a lactation consultant a week and a half ago, went to a nursing mothers of raleigh support group meeting and also rented a hospital grade pump - the other pump wasn't working that well for me most of the time. it was all going pretty well before that or about as well as i was expecting breastfeeding to be. so i keep telling myself that one of these days it will be easier and this will be the last thing we need to get over, but i'm guessing that is not true, that as soon as we get past this there will be something else. max no longer wants to go 3 hours between feedings consistently, but i guess i've traded 45 min feedings for 10 min feedings every hour or two. so it's been long enough that i don't think he will go back to the 3 hrs between feedings at this point.

i woke up this morning only to realize that in 3 weeks i go back to work! yikes! today i was in bed til 12:30 - max was in bed with me after 8am and we napped between feedings. so i wonder if i'll be ready and need to figure out the pumping thing before i go back as well! oh, and i tried to give max a bottle for the first time last night (pumped to give the problem side a rest) - he cried and fussed the whole time and ended up taking both sides anyway.

my mom was here for a week and so our house is cleaner, we're all very well fed and max got lots of cuddles and love last week.

2 comments:

Charlene said...

I know it's hard. Things will constantly change but if you keep going, it will get easier. The LLL evening group in Durham is a bunch of nice people. Maybe check out the motherhood "class" at Duke at the the Teer House. I found them very helpful. They have a pediatrician and nurses there everytime. www.dukehealth.org. Click on Event Calendar on the left and them select a topic on the right. It's free.
It DOES get easier. Hang in there. I'm here if you need me. I know I don't know too many people who have done it as long as I have. And she's got teeth now!

Unknown said...

Keep at it, Mama! I does get easier and he WILL take the bottle... eventually. Try having someone else give him the bottle, he associates you w/ boobage. When Monksie was his age I'd nurse him during the day and when Matt got home in the evenings he would give him the bottle... then I'd pump during that feeding time. I started really pumping a lot 6 weeks before I had to go back to work to stock up the freezer. I'm sure that you'll have an easier time pumping at work. I could only pump during recess (which is only 15 minutes) and lunch recess. Keep working at it, you'll find what works best for you. Don't let the lactation consultants bully you either... formula is not evil. Love you!