Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Smart guy in the news

I read an article about this Dr. Collins in the Carolina Review, and then today there is an article on CNN. The article in the Carolina Review was very interesting, because he is a really smart guy, but he also seems like a very stand-up guy as well. In the article, he described the whole competition with a private firm - his guys would sequence a new part of the humane genome & then publish it right away, so the private sector company couldn't sequence the next part & apply for a patent. Publishing the genes also allowed scientist to start using the data right away. He also mentioned that his first look into the human genome was to find the gene for Cystic Fibrosis - took 10 years and tons of money. Thus his interest in mapping the human genome began.

I was at Borders to see my friend Dan perform there - forgot the guy's name so I couldn't find the book he recently wrote. I'd buy the book on amazon, but I'm working on 3 months of Real Simple & Cooking Light magazines that have piled up with all the traveling we've been doing.

No comments: