Wednesday, September 10, 2008

cracker?

 

This evening I gave Max a baby cracker. I started with cubes of avacado - max got a few of them (they were really small) in his hand, but he didn't put them in his mouth. I tried to put a few in his mouth, but kept hitting his gums & he'd wince (still no teeth). Figured we'd see what happened with the cracker. He played with it for a while & mouthed it a bit, but not much. He got a taste of the avacado & seemed to want more, so I mashed up a 1/4 of an avacado and he polished that off. Guess it's true. Some days he loves it, others he's not too crazy about it. I started out just trying to give him stuff to keep him occupied while we ate dinner...ended up being a whole meal. 1st day for 3 meals for Max today.

by the way, seems like starting solids is yet another topic where folks all have different strong opinions. i seem to be going through different extremes, but I keep remembering that in the end it will probably not really matter all that much. our family does not have food allergies (one cousin is allergic to strawberries), so we're definitely not in the high risk catagory. and my mother-in-law already tried to give Max some coconut asian dessert thing with a chopstick (who the heck knows what was in that thing) and i gave him a tiny bit of my corned beef hash which he promptly spit up onto me (shows me!). i have a friend who was too poor to afford baby food when her youngest was starting solids, so she ended up just giving her kid food she had already chewed in the beginning. and just a generation or 2 ago, folks gave babies corn syrup & water...who ever heard of formula. so i'm going to try to enjoy max staring solids as much as possible instead of worrying & fretting.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Carina said...

As long as he's feeding himself, it gives you a break. :)