Thursday, February 28, 2008

swaddle

 

Normally Max is not too big into the whole swaddle thing. Is it just me or do these swaddle blankets look suspiciously like straight jackets. We heard some popping noises coming from Max's hip the last few days and the doctor told us to come it so they could check it out so I took him in. The doctor said that it's probably just a ligament - more common in the shoulders & he was able to get it to happen on Max's shoulder while we were there today. But the doctor check his hip sockets and was unable to get his hip to come out of socket, so he said that was good & showed me how to check it next time it happens.

I changed Max's diaper as soon as we got to the pediatricians office & then we weighed him - 9lbs 7 ounces. While I was taking him back to the room from the scales he promptly spit up on me (I had just finished feeding him at home before I came to the dr.'s office). Then while the doctor was examining him, he spit up again some more - in fact he's spit up a whole bunch since he got weighed. He also pooped while the doctor was examining his butt/hips - the doc was quick with that diaper shield! So I changed him, then while the doc was explaining follow up, he pooped again! I changed him and then he pooped yet again! So I'm pretty sure that he lost at least 2 ounces after getting weighed, but 8 ounces in 6 days is looking good. We haven't had to supplement any formula or breastmilk after I feed him for quite a while now - so the latest weigh in was good to know that he's just falling asleep because he really is full. And I think we're done with newborn swaddlers....onto the next bigger (read: higher capacity) size.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

.:mike said...

Wrapped like a burrito!

janiceoverman said...

How scary! I never heard of popping sounds in a newborn. Of course, I hear popping sounds in my joints all the time!

Max is soo cute!! I can't wait to see him again!!

Love,
Mom/Grandma

Carina said...

It's good you heard the popping early on...now you know what to watch out for. Carissa's popping hip ended up to be hip dysplasia and I'm so glad they found it early on...so it could be fixed...

Charlene said...

Babies have to lay down so much in the doctor's office. I would feed Sarah just before so she would be manageable but then with all the laying down, she would spit up a lot too.

I'm glad his weight is good and the popping is not a problem. Feels better knowing what to do and what to watch for.