Friday, January 25, 2008

Movie Reviews

I'll keep the spoilers to a min, but just some thoughts on the few movies we've watched recently.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
We got this from Netflix since it's a movie it seems we should watch. So now I get a few more movie references that I wouldn't have gotten before, but I think the references are more funny than the actual movie. I guess I just don't get British humor. It was pretty much a waste of time for me...I laughed out loud maybe once? Totally not my type of humor.

No Country for Old Men
Wei Yan's pick here. I went in with no expectations. Interesting, weird, a bit disturbing. Not your run of the mill Hollywood crime/suspense movie. Gotta pay attention here and only watch this if you like the off the beaten path/different movies.

27 Dresses
My pick this time. Tired from the pregnancy and ready to just turn my brain off for 1.5 hours, so this movie delivered. I'm impressed with Katherine Heigel's ability to pull off comedy (Knocked Up was funny too) - not that the movie was as much of a comedy as Knocked Up, but it's just harder to pull off funny than you would think. Don't expect much from plot or predictability, but it got the whole theater laughing more than a few times and satisfied my need to just turn off my brain for a few & relax.

3 comments:

.:mike said...

Enjoy those movies while you can! :)

Unknown said...

just killing time, huh? I can't remember the last movie I saw in a theater... maybe it was Batman Begins. Joshie had not arrived yet and didn't like all of the loudness. He protested by lots of kicking and stretching. we're waiting for your special delivery!

Sharon said...

Hi RC-
I loved reading your review. I took Auntie Itsie to see this movie at the Hollywood Arclight, since I wanted to pick up "Wicked" tickets for her birthday.
I totally agree - this movie was perfect for putting your mind on "pause" for a couple of hours and just having escapist fun! The leading movies this year are so dark!