Wednesday, January 09, 2008

names

We're still deciding on names and yup, feeling the pressure. Some of the Japanese names that are in the running for middle name are:
* Tsukasa - My maternal grandfathers name. I was pretty close to him, and everyone called him "Tiger" which is kind of a cool nickname. Course everyone called him Tiger because no one could say his name. It would be kind of cool to keep this in the family, but I'm not sure I want to give our kid such a hard name to say/pronouce/spell. Course I guess on the last name he is getting off pretty easy - but this is NC, so he's gonna have to spell his last name all the time anyway...
* Takahiro (or something with Taka in it like Takashi, Takaharu) - I like Tak and Taka. Wei Yan likes Tak and maybe the Heroes series is having a subconscious effect.
* Yutaka - I think this is my paternal gradfather's brother's name. We always just called him Uncle Taka and he had a shop called Tak's automotive (still exists today). But I think this was actually his formal name. Might be a good option in case T ends up not being a good middle initial depending on what we pick for a first.

Sadly I have no idea what any of those names mean. And if I find a website with meanings - I'm reading whatever characters I recognize in chinese. If any family members are reading this or friends that have some knowledge of japanese to share or family history to share, please do. Course, like I said, we may end up just going with what sounds the best with the 1st name we decide on....whenever that happens! ;-)

1 comment:

makihsieh said...

Yutaka: Means peace
Taka* anything: The character usually means tall, mighty, high.
I hope that helps. With the others, I'll have to look up the Chinese characters! I'll keep you posted.